Man, I am in love with monthly comics right now. Both Marvel and DC are producing some of the best mainstream fare I have read in YEARS. Welcome to my weekly (?) love letter to comics.
1. Ganthet of Oa, Green Lantern of Space Space Sector Zero. I got goosebumps!
2. The Anti-Monitor (best post-Kirby cosmic villain design ever) returns!!!
3. Thanos soliloquizing/recapping his life story (a totally underappeciated genre, as the unkind term “infodump” attests). Great reveal at the end of this issue about the “Cancerverse,” too.
4. Jim McCann’s nostalgic and lovingly researched Dazzler script. Oh, let him write an ongoing.
5. Everything about our heroes dealing with Max Lord’s massive mind-fuck of THE ENTIRE EARTH, but especially every scene involving Booster Gold.
6. Valkyrie’s return to monthly action in the UTTERLY FANTASTIC Secret Avengers #1. I am seriously smitten with this book.
7. The mystery of the other Serpent Crown. (See #6, above.)
8. Richard Rider in that cave…
9. Mike Deodato drawing space ships, coloured by the amazing Rain Beredo.
10. The straight and narrow path or sprawled in the gutter with the rest of the garbage–choose, boys! (No pressure.)
11. My wirepoon says otherwise, punks! (Len Wein: oh you!)
12. Grant Morrison explains converging timelines.
13. Grant Morrison channels Nathaniel Hawthorne.
14. Grant Morrison messes with your mind. (LOVED THIS.)
15. Paul Levitz returns to the Legion! The Legion is the Legion again! (And it is SO good.)
16. Sodam Yat: the new Pariah. (Love the GL/Legion mashup.)
17. Levitz and Cinar pay nine-panel tribute to LOSH master artist…Keith Giffen! (I gots the warm fuzzies.)
18. Dawnstar! Dawnstar! Dawnstar!
BONUS: Dex-Star brings the rage!
More next week!